Saturday, February 16, 2008

A winning day

I love Saturday's, don't you? I slept in a bit, made some coffee and even enjoyed it quite leisurely back in bed! It was both cozy and relaxing, actually. It makes me wonder what happened to the breakfast tray my mom used to have. I remember when I would be sick as a little girl, my mom would bring me tea and lunch on the tray. I absolutely loved that--it was the best part of being sick!!

After my perfect cup of coffee, I showered and dressed for the monthly IDPA match at the range. It took me just as long to figure out what to wear to the match as it takes me to figure out an outfit for shopping. While I might be shooting guns, there's no reason I shouldn't look cute and coordinated while doing it, right? I finally settled on a brown, long-sleeved fitted shirt to go with my brown and pink NY Yankees hat. Functional, yet stylish! (obviously, the picture I've posted is not from today--let's try Oct 2005!)

It has been quite some time since I've last gone to a match. My friend Meg helped me figure out just how long--OVER A YEAR! That's just terrible! But everyone was glad to see me, and I was just as glad to see them. Of course I had to endure the required ribbing from my friends for being such a stranger. However, I would like to take this more than golden opportunity to point out that I was there, but my dear and darling brother, who had told me around 4pm yesterday that he would be there, was NOT! When I had spoken with him and told him I planned to go, his response was, "I'll believe it when I see it." Does this mean I'll have to wait for scores to be posted, for he wasn't there to witness the occasion?!

With the exception of a couple of weeks ago when I met Phil at the range to practice some, I haven't fired a gun in....I'd say 6 months is a good guess. Needless to say, I didn't do terribly well, but neither did I do embarrassingly poorly either--at least, I don't think so. There were an awful lot of head shots, meaning a wee little square of cardboard to hit, and some of those had to be done on the move. We had swinging targets, disappearing targets and a lot of hard cover where half the target didn't count! But regardless of how I did, I had fun and am glad that I finally went again. Going to matches is part of my New Year's Plan--do more.

Now that I'm home again I have to do those necessary evils--mainly laundry. Society tends to frown upon going to work naked. Match scores should be posted in a day or so, and we'll just have to wait and see if I decide to share them with you! In the meantime, I shall impress upon you the fact that the going, the having fun and enjoying the sunshine and camaraderie is what matters, not the score of the game....that carries over to the larger picture of life, too, don't you think...

An embarrassing note: I had to look up the spelling of camaraderie. However in the doing so, I enjoyed the definition as put by Merriam-Webster: "a spirit of friendly good-fellowship"
Perfect!!


No comments: