Friday, February 22, 2008

The left lane is for PASSING!!!

Today was supposed to be my day off, but I had to work half a day. But that's ok, I keep reminding myself that's 4 hours overtime. So I slept in a little, hung out with one of my friends and then finally went to work. It is very odd to go to work in the middle of the day. As soon as I get into the rhythm of things, it's time to go!

At least the weather wasn't as horrible as the forecasters made it out to be--it never is. The roads were icy this morning, but there wasn't the inch of ice I kept hearing about. When I left for work (at 11am) there was still ice on my car, but the roads were fine and the temperature was in the upper 30's.

Now, I'm not an aggressive driver and I don't speed (excessively). HOWEVER when people lolligag in the left lane of an interstate it absolutely drives me crazy! I admit that I drive 9mph over the speed limit on I-64, usually. But I don't crowd people and I always try to get out of the way of faster drivers. WELL, I am stuck behind this car that does about 72ish when the right lane is completely empty but then slows down to 70 when passing anyone. It killed me!! I could feel my blood pressure go up and I'm just going crazy with frustration. When she went 72 it's fast enough that if I wanted to move into the travel lane to pass her I'd have to floor it in order to get by her before I caught up to the next car. (make sense?) Now, if this had lasted but a couple of miles, I'd be ok, but it went on for almost 10 before there was a big enough break in the right hand lane that I could finally pass her. And I'm pretty sure she sped up when I did!!! See, this is why I don't like driving. That is such a silly little thing to get worked up over, but I can't help it! I need a chauffeur.

So I made it home, called my mom who I found out has the sniffles. Mom's aren't supposed to get sick! It's supposed to be a reward for going through childbirth or something that you don't sick! I hope my dad is making her tea whenever she wishes. :) My coffee just finished brewing and I've changed into my pj bottoms to relax for the evening.

Tomorrow I am meeting my friend Sue for dinner in Fredericksburg as it's a good half-way point for us to meet. As I've mentioned before I've been friends with her and her sister since we were all 4-5ish. Sue and I have the goal of this being a monthly dinner, but it seems more like every 3 before we can get our schedules to mesh. So it'll be nice to see her again. I have to look up my directions on how to get there again. I take all these back roads to avoid the greater Richmond area and it's traffic, and I never remember...

Oh--so do you love trying to figure out what people's vanity plates mean? I get a kick out of some of them. This is a neat site where the guy lists all sorts of vanity plates folks have seen. Check these out when you've got some time:

Cool Pl8s (this site has pics)
Creative Plates

No comments: