Thursday, February 21, 2008

Birthdays and Beautiful Birds

Happy Birthday, Katlin! Today is my niece's birthday. I can't believe that she is 15 already. As of now I haven't a photo, but again I am hoping my father will come to my rescue.

On the way to my friend's house this morning, I passed a great sign that said simply: Be Happy. What a great sign. I may have to go back and take a picture, because I just like it.

Anyhow, I had to pick up a couple of things at Target this afternoon. Who knew I could be in and out in less than 15 minutes! I once told one of my friends that as long as I stayed on the carpet I'd be ok. (the carpet is only up front near customer service for returns!) While I was up in that part of town I called my brother to see if he wanted to meet for coffee, but noooooooooo, he's too busy for his baby sister today. *sniff, sniff* So I bought my own to go and then it was off to the dermatologist.

I've been going to the same dermatologist since I was 16. I think she's great--even when I lived in NY I still drove down here to see her. So one of my questions for her was, what do I have to do to have skin as great as hers when I'm her age (she's almost 50, but looks like she's in her late 30's/early 40's). As the nurse predicted, her answer was that it's all about genetics and that she was blessed. Grrrrr... Actually, I'm pretty happy with my skin, and according to her, redheads either have great skin or terrible skin and there's not much middle ground.

I then stopped at the grocery store and ran into one of the guys from work. He gently chastised me for being clueless about the winter storm in store for us tonight and tomorrow. I had said that I'm more of a day by day weather girl. He told me I need to live for the future, and I responded that one should live in the now! Speaking of this storm, I'm now a little perturbed at having to go into work in the afternoon when I otherwise could have stayed home all warm and cozy. Hmmph!

While I was driving here and there, I was reminded of how beautiful it is in this area. So often it's easy to forget in the day to day rush and running around. But every once in a while I am just struck with the beauty of the land. I also happened to see a hawk sitting sentinel on a power line, perusing the pasture before him for his mid-afternoon meal. I just think that birds of prey are generally beautiful and command respect--they seem so proud. I remember one day a few years ago, I was driving home when a hawk cut right in front of me and grabbed his target from the side of the road. It happened so quickly that I don't even know what his prey was, probably a rabbit or squirrel, but it was awesome.

I think I shall spend the remainder of the evening with a cup of tea (or hot cider, I haven't decided) and watch a movie.

And again, Happy Birthday Katlin!

No comments: