Monday, February 25, 2008

Don't dig too deep

Monday is not my favorite day of the week. And, truthfully, I don't have a favorite, BUT if I did, it most definitely would not be Monday. Today wasn't even a bad day--just Monday.

Despite the day of the week, it was beautiful out! The sun was shining and it was in the mid-upper 50's. On my way home I had my window down, but just halfway (I did say the 50's, not the 70's!). When I got home I opened my front door for some fresh air for a little while while the sun was still up. It's now low enough that I'm in the shadowland, so I've closed it again. But while it was so great out, my blond-brain dog and I played for about 45 minutes. Miraculously a 3rd tennis ball appeared--I knew she lost one, but I could never prove it!

I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, was wrong with whomever lived in my house before me. When we first bought it, it was GROSS inside--I mean get-me-out-of-here-and-into-the-shower kind of gross. But we fixed all of that. Now my challenge is all the...junk buried in various areas throughout the yard. I am convinced that they burned an entire vehicle in one spot. I have found gears, oil caps, chains, belts (tacky clothing belt), whole dinner plates, cassette tapes and more pieces of broken beer bottles than I can count. I mean, really!!! One of these days I'm going to go out there and dig some more of it out.

This afternoon, I saw what looks like the gas tank from a push mower. It has just started to surface. Every year I do scavenging, and every year more pops up. Sometimes I feel like I'm on an archaeological dig. Alas, no Indiana Jones, though.... *sigh* Last summer I dug up the heel to a man's dress shoe. When I first found it, it was upside down. I didn't know if it would be the entire shoe or what, but I did have the fleeting thought, "Oh, please don't let there be a body." Truly, I thought that. Weird stuff in my yard.

No comments: