Sunday, March 2, 2008

It's in your heart

On Sunday mornings, my usual radio station has some radio program on. I don't ever pay enough attention to know what it's called, but each week it seems to have theme--always uplifting or encouraging. Today's theme seems to have been happiness. The first thing that caught my attention was when the host said that only 20% of people claim to be happy. I thought that was kinda sad (I do see the irony), that so few Americans claim happiness for themselves. But I did love this next quote, and I hope I've remembered it correctly: Happiness is in the heart, not the circumstances.

To say that one can choose to be happy is both true and over-simplified. I am very happy in my life and in my heart. Are there some circumstances I wish were different--of course! And not to be cliche, but it is a matter of knowing what you can and cannot change and coming to terms with those that can't be changed. It's also a matter of being able to let go of the past, recognizing the present, and, while not ignoring it entirely, realizing the future isn't here yet and isn't guaranteed. I try to change what I can, when I can, but realize that there are certain things in my life that are just the way they are. Worrying or whining over it won't change that and would accomplish nothing more than making me miserable. Been there, done that.

Now, a happy person can say happiness is a choice, and truly believe it to be that straightforward and easy. To them it is. They're not looking through rose coloured glassed with naivete, but the world does indeed bask in a rosy glow. However, to someone who is unhappy or depressed, they can only wish that happiness was so easily attainable. If a pit (of despair) is so deep, it doesn't matter how wide the opening is, the light doesn't reach to the bottom. It takes a strong heart and a determined will to climb out of that. Some need medication to pull them out or at least give a leg up. Not all need it, and for some it still won't be enough. But regardless of the ladder they choose, it is a choice. I choose not to be unhappy; I choose to get out of this hole; I choose to enjoy my life.

I found my way out in part because I have a great family who make great friends, and in part because I finally said, "Enough." There's a joke I have with one of they guys at work. Every morning when he'd come in, he'd ask me how I was doing, and every morning I answered, "Fantastic." And I meant it. I've earned my right to be happy, but I work at it every day. Some days it's more of a battle than others, some days I don't win, but most days I do. It's still a choice I make each day--easier now that I've found happiness than when I didn't. And my circumstances are better now, but they're better because I changed my heart first. Finding joy and happiness in what I already had and where I was helped me start changing the 'dressing' of my life.

I am no longer content. I am happy. Live in the moment---carpe diem.

No comments: