Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Celebrations and crustaceans

Well first of all, Happy Birthday to my brother Shane!

The last couple of days have been absolutely gorgeous. It was sooooo nice outside. Actually, it was a bit overcast, but in the cozy sort of way as opposed to the dreary kind of way. But it did start to drizzle, and then overnight it sounded like a hurricane. It had my 100 pound guard dog so upset that she felt the need to wake me up at 3am. Apparently there were tornado warnings, but I don't pay much attention to the weather reports, so I didn't know about those until this morning. Oops.

Speaking of morning, as I was rushing out the door I nearly stepped upon the fellow pictured above. He was on one of my stepping stones and barely avoided being squished by yours truly. I still get the heebie-jeebies thinking about if I had stepped on him--bleh, that's just messy. By the time I took my camera out of my bag he had already crawled onto the grass. Since I was running behind, I didn't have time to set up the shot or put anything in the photo for scale. He was about 7 inches long or so. I am most curious about his origin as there aren't any streams or creeks or ponds within crayfish (that's what they're called, right?) walking distance. My first thought when I nearly broke my neck to avoid him had actually been, "Scorpion!" but that was just too far fetched and quickly discarded. I've decided he had a whirlwind adventure which brought him to my doorstep!

I had to add, after just now looking at the local news online, that apparently I do live in a bit of a bubble (and my dad just laughed). My house is right along the county line, and the governor has declared a state of emergency for both my county and the neighboring county due to last night's storm! Sounds like I'm lucky the tree didn't fall on my car (near miss by a limb, though) and my roof is still on! And if it was really that crazy outside, my dog is forgiven for her panic attack.

No comments: