Saturday, August 23, 2008

Have bike, will travel....

I've been on the hunt for a bike rack to cart my bike to and fro. I came across the Saris Bones 2-Bike rack. It sounded fabulous and had great reviews. They also have a 3-bike version for just $30 more. While one that carries 2 should suffice, it doesn't hurt to have the ability to haul 3 just in case. While checking things out I stumble upon the Saris Bones RS bike rack. It is the Lamborghini of bike racks. While I would have been quite happy and content with the regular Bones rack, now I want this one!! However the Bones RS costs a tidy sum, so regardless of how much I may lust after it, it is simply out of reach.

Meanwhile my dad is checking things out for me online as well--he's a fabulous researcher. He comes across a guy selling the Saris Bones 2-bike on Craigslist in the Boston area. COOL! But I can't get my email to cooperate in writing to the man, so I miss out. But I think, "Ooh, that's a good idea. I wonder what's on Craigslist here?" I check it out, and it's a strike. A day or two later I look again: strike 2. BUT I give it one last shot and knock it out of the park!! A guy is selling the RS at a loss, brand new!! Turns out it won't work for his car and selling it for less than 70% of what he paid is better than return shipping costs + 15% restocking fee!! SWEET!! So a few emails later and I'm on my way to meet him and check it out. Needless to say I came home with my brand new Bones RS for just a few bucks more than the Bones 3-Bike!

What do you think??


No comments: