Friday, May 9, 2008

Cell (phone) support

Each of my brothers is very good to me in his own way. Yesterday was Phil's day.

Last night crazy storms came through Central Virginia, and my dog was more antsy and whiny than her norm for storms. So I check online to see what's going on and lo, and behold, there's a tornado warning for my area!

Generally I wouldn't think much of this, except last year one touched down about a mile from my house and tornadoes seem to no longer be an anomaly in VA. Literally seconds after I discover this tidbit (sometimes ignorance can be bliss) my phone rings. Phil is calling to check on me and see if I knew what was swirling about outside my home. I am really quite nervous and just a few steps shy of panic: all that's keeping me from crossing that line is trying to keep my mutt calm and the realization that there is absolutely nothing that I can do about whatever happens.

But Phil emails me the link to the local radar and we both watch it on our computers---the cell is just about to come bearing down on me, we talk about nothing, the cell is overhead (which I could tell even without the radar!), we continue talking about nothing, and finally it has passed. All in all about 20 minutes during which he kept me pre-occupied and (almost) worry free!

Thanks, Phil! :-)

No comments: