Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Yay, it's June!!

Wow, so if it hadn't been for mum's birthday, I do believe the entire month of May would have gone by without a single entry by yours truly. My humble apologies, as I've been rather busy and having loads of fun. :-)

Last week I went to the Henley Middle School Spring Concert held at the local high school. I hadn't set foot inside the HS since I graduated 14 years ago--a lot of new stuff there! But my reason for attending this concert made up of 6th-8th graders was to celebrate the retirement of Mr Fagan, band director of Henley for 32 years!! He was absolutely the BEST band director, and made it so much fun that no one else could compare. When I moved on to high school, band was such a drag that I dropped it just 2 months into my freshman year (even after having spent all summer in summer school so I could have a class period open for band!). Through Facebook and other means, word spread and the HS auditorium was packed on concert night! What Mr Fagan didn't know was that about 50 former students, including one who was in the 6th grade those 32 years ago and another who flew out from CA, had gotten together to practice and then perform at this concert. A comfy recliner was brought out onto the stage for Mr Fagan to sit back and enjoy the performance while the very man who offered him the job at Henley way back when was the guest conductor for the Alumni Band. The last piece performed that evening was the very first composition of Mr Fagan's that had been published. The Symphonic Band returned to the stage and joined the Alumni Band, and together, with Mr Fagan back as conductor, they played his song. It was really a wonderful, wonderful evening with an incredible turnout and many old friends.

On another note (no pun intended) I have let my running fade to nothingness since the Charlottesville 10 Miler. However, today I once again have signed up for the Women's Four Miler Training Program. Even though my friend bailed on me last year, it was a lot of fun and by the end of the summer I did the Four Miler. It's also raises money for a wonderful cause: the University of Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation which has the latest treatments and expertise offered through the UVA medical community. Later on I will post more information in case you are interested in sponsoring me for the race or simply donating to the cause.

Enjoy June and hopefully I'll be a more diligent blogger!!

No comments: