Friday, June 20, 2008

Saving boobies everywhere

Bright and early tomorrow morning, I will begin the Training Program for the Charlottesville Women's 4-Miler. The race is actually on August 30, and training began last week while I was in NY. My friend Diana and I decided to do this together for both accountability and encouragement.

The race is largest all women race in the state of VA and it is done as a way to raise money for the University of Virginia Cancer Center Breast Care Program. Breast Cancer has affected many women in my life: it is the reason I never met my paternal grandmother and 2 of my aunts and my godmother are all survivors. The program also helps women affected by ovarian cancer, which is more difficult to detect in early stages, and I have had friends affected by that as well. Last year the CW4M raised $230,000 for the UVA Cancer Center. If you would like to make a donation and support me while I train for this event you can use the link above for the race. As of today it doesn't look like you can donate online, although they say it will be available soon. If that's not up and running, and this is something you'd like to do, you can mail in the donation. Checks should be made out to "Charlottesville Women's Four Miler" and mailed to:
Women’s Four Miler
c/o Ragged Mountain Running Shop
#3 Elliewood Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903

You can include my name for sponsorship, BUT the important thing is to raise the money, not for me to get credit.

Another option, if you are interested, is to support the Motivational Mile. All along the race route, names are posted of the loved ones we race for--a reminder and motivator to keep on fighting and running. The Motivational Mile link is directly beneath the donation link on the Race home page.

I am excited about the training program and the race--how cool to go from not being able to run all that long or far to finishing a four miler??

No comments: